As life is not perfect, there's bound to be imperfections in people and in their relationships. That's why marriage, as in any relationship, is not made in heaven. Trials will always come along although couples also deserve to experience happiness in their life. As they say, it's an up and down hill that people go through in their lifetime.
It's a reality that some people can't help but feel sad when they're having problems in their marital relationship. They're easily affected by the trials that they face and at times, this sadness can even stay with them for a long time. When this happens, there's a big likelihood for depression to occur.
As depression sets in and no immediate aid is provided, an individual can develop suicidal tendency. This is the stage when a person is deeply sad and does not respond to support or does not want to be treated. There is then the urge to just end life.
As married couples, you vowed to help and support each through good times and bad. It is, therefore, important that you get to know each other's personality very well through proper communication. Discussing issues that matter in your marriage is helpful in figuring out the ways to further nurture your relationship. Other than marital issues, openly talking out about your feelings, thoughts and opinions is also essential.
Sometimes, couples tend to feel confident that they already know their partner from head to foot after their initial years of marriage. The others especially those who had a long engagement may feel the same way. It's only then when a strange character trait reveals itself that they realize that they still miss something.
How then can you detect the warning signs of suicide in your spouse? Should you be bothered by a sudden change in attitude or behavior? How then can you help your loved one who is a suicide risk?
According to experts, majority of people who are at risk of suicide tell somebody about their plan. They also show some warning signs.
* Long depression. Being depressed for a long time is a common cause for suicide.
* Withdrawal. They may withdraw from family and friends and stop communicating to them.
* Mood changes. They may experience extreme changes in their moods from being excited to feeling sad right away.
* Change in sleep pattern. As these people are often bothered, they may have difficulty following their usual sleeping habit.
* Loss of appetite. Most depressed people lose their appetite or may eat very little.
* Talking about death. Suicidal people who are the verbal type may talk about committing suicide or death. The silent type may communicate this thought through writing a letter.
* Feeling guilty or shameful. People who may be in this situation are those who have had an illicit affair or who may have spent a huge sum of their spouse's money.
* Poor performance. This can show in the workplace or at home. Suicidal people can lose interest in their daily activities and therefore may no longer be willing to do their work well.
Talk to a marriage counselor or therapist right away if you ever suspect your spouse to be at risk of suicide. It is not a shame to approach a counselor. Think that you're doing it to save your marriage and to save the life of your loved one.
Post a Comment