Saturday, November 2, 2013

Top 6 Reason to Check For Vitamin D Deficiency


Vitamin D deficiency is becoming more common today and yet most people and doctors do not routinely test for Vitamin D deficiency.

Six months ago I noticed that I was having health problems, I had become the family grouch, the family complainer and I was always too tired to do anything with my family. Some days I would have shooting pain in my left leg and the next day it felt fine but the right leg would be in pain. My lower back was hurting all the time and I was just too exhausted, weak and my muscle ached everywhere.

I had read an article that Diabetics should be tested for Vitamin D levels to make sure that they were getting enough. The article almost mentioned every symptom and pain that I was experiencing at that moment. Since it was time for a routine Diabetes checkup, I took the article with me to show my doctor and find out about adding the vitamin D blood test to the rest of the tests that day. We did the test and the results were extremely low!

Vitamin D levels that are 30 nanograms per milliliter of blood and up are considered "Normal," from 15 to 30 nanograms are considered "Low" and less than 15 nanograms is, "Very Low"... I was at 13!

Vitamin D deficiencies symptoms range in a wide variety of chronic pain and yet most doctors today do not understand that the patient's pain is due to Vitamin D deficiency.

Six reasons to ask your doctor to do a Vitamin D test include:

1. If you experience a bone and muscle stabbing pain that doesn't stay in just one area and you experience extreme back pain, then ask your doctor to test your Vitamin D levels.

2. Are you spending your days in a fog? Do you feel disconnected to everything around you? Then ask for a Vitamin D test.

3. Do you suffer from the effects of anti-inflammatory, cancer, diabetes, and depression then get your vitamin D checked out. Vitamin D is needed in the production of making enzymes and proteins in our bodies and it also has an interaction with more than 2,000 genes in our body. For these symptoms alone, get it checked out!

4. How are your kidneys doing? Did you know that as we age our kidneys are not able to convert vitamin D? Better ask for a test for your "D" levels and hey, why not your kidneys too!

5. If you have Crohn's disease, Celiac disease or Cystic Fibrosis then you need to have your levels checked out because these diseases affect our intestine's ability to absorb Vitamin D. People with these diseases need to be tested at least twice a year.

6. Vitamin D is taken out of circulation in our bodies when the fat cells absorb the "D" from our blood. If you have a BMI of 30+ then remember to get a Vitamin D test.

Everyone should have a Blood test done for Vitamin D deficiency, check with your doctor, it takes less than 2 minutes of your time and if you are deficient, it is very easy to remedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment