Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Can Prayer Help To Ease The Symptoms Of Depression?


Does prayer help to ease your depression? Well, the jury is still out on that, depending on the individual. Let me ask you this. Do you feel better after you've gone to see a psychiatrist or participated in group therapy? That answer for me is both yes and no. You see, going to see a psychiatrist was a good experience, depending on who the person was and their type of personality. Some psychiatric professionals are visibly more caring than others. Some are more "strictly by the book" and seem to lack compassion.

Taking part in group therapy never was very helpful for me. I found it difficult listening to the problems of others that didn't relate to my own. I was always sympathetic and tried to be understanding, but I found it difficult to participate unless someone mentioned something that I was experiencing personally. I had days when I was feeling good before the group session and walked out feeling bad. I think that groups are fine as long as they're extremely focused and everyone in the room is on the same page.

As far as prayer helping, I believe that it's an excellent method of relieving stress and tension. There are times when it can really help to ease your burden, especially if you have difficulty sharing your feelings with others. The one thing that makes God so very endearing is that he'll never leave you, he's with you twenty four hours a day, seven days per week and you can give him a ring any time day or night. He never tires of hearing from you or hearing your problems over and over again. You can say practically anything to him respectfully and he's okay with it.

I know that prayer has helped me to deal with my depression issues simply because I know that I'm not alone. While visiting "professionals", I sometimes felt as if I was the only one in the room. Do you know what I mean? The person that asks you a couple of questions and then looks at the clock again? It never made me feel quite right, because even though this person may have gone to school for treating these symptoms, it's likely that they've never personally experienced them.

The next time that your depressive symptoms are trying to get the best of you, why not find a quiet place and start a conversation with your heavenly father? I guarantee that he'll always listen, never criticize you and genuinely cares about you and your problems. You may or may not experience a visible "miracle", but sometimes just knowing that he's walking with you in life and carrying you when you're hurting the most is enough. Give prayer a try. It's free.

No comments:

Post a Comment