If you're suffering from depression you may think about taking some medication to help you cope. Before you decide if this is the right option for you there are a few things you need to know first about Depression and antidepressants. Read on to find out more...
- Depression and Anti Depressants fact 1 The facts: Before you think about taking any form of antidepressant, there are a few thing you need to know. Antidepressants are not a cure, and recent tests now suggest that drugs may not even work. Many of the drugs available have side effects that can have a major affect on your life. A common side effects is increased appetite and weight gain. Antidepressants may also effect your libido, resulting in a loss of sex drive. This commonly affects relationships and can add to the strain already caused by depression.
- Depression and Anti Depressants fact 2 - Popular drugs and how they work: Type 1: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's) more commonly known as Prozac or Seroxat. These are the most widely distributed drugs and work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain by not allowing it to be reused, which diminishes depressed feelings. Type 2: Tricyclics more commonly know as Tryptizol. These are the second most common type of antidepressants and work in a very similar way. They are not recommended for those with heart or liver problems. Type 3: Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MOAIs) more commonly know as Nardil and Marplan. These were some of the first antidepressants develop and have been available since the 1950's. They are now less widely used because of the side effects they cause such as high blood pressure.
- Depression and Anti Depressants fact 3 Questions to ask your doctor: If your doctor prescribes antidepressants, be sure you ask the following questions - Are there any side effects associated with this drug? Will I become addicted to this drug? How long will I have to take them? Will they work straight away?
- Depression and Anti Depressants fact 4 coming off medication: It can be difficult to stop taking antidepressants, the first thing you need to do is consult your doctor. You may think it's the right time, but your doctor may not. If you and your doctor decide it is the right time then be sure to do it slowly and gradually reduce your dosage. Never ever go cold turkey - you could wind up back at square one.
- Depression and Anti Depressants fact 5 the natural approach: Two of the best natural ways to improve your mood are exercise and sunshine. Take some gentle exercise in the sun each day. Go for a walk, ride your bike or do some gardening, it will all help.
For more information on depression and anti depressants click on the links below.