In the absence of research and development many medical ailments were earlier treated as incurable mammoths. Bipolar Disorder is one among them.
Earlier the individuals suffering with this kind of disorder was often regarded as a 'very moody person' or in extreme cases the family wrote them off saying that they have become insane. Later on the scientists made us realize that this disorder is a - Manic Depression, also known by the name of - Bipolar Disorder.
Though this disease is not new, along with the name many other things regarding this disease are quite new like the help we can lend to such patients. As its effects can be very wide spread and deadly, the treatment is as crucial.
This ailment is too dangerous as its patients can also become suicidal. Here are some important features of this ailment:
1. The bipolar disorder is illustrated by the extreme mood changes that is the person acts manically euphoric and/or extremely depressed. Hence it is also called as the manic-depressive illness.
2. The mood fluctuations in such patients can go to any extremes with in any period of time that is hours, days and/or months.
3. This ailment can take place right from the late teenage stage and continue until death. However, there have also been cases where the ailment started right from the childhood and got delayed up to the adult years.
4. While mood swings happen with all of us now and then, very few actually experience the radical changes that can be characterized as bipolar disorder. In such cases the patients' day-to-day life and relationships are also significantly affected. Their academics, occupation, interaction with others all happen differently.
In case you want to check if you are afflicted with the unfortunate situation, read through the symptoms & signs of the disease carefully:
Signs & Symptoms in the Depressive Phase
1. Pessimistic - the patient cry for hours together
2. Feeling of hopelessness
3. Low self esteem
4. Diminished libido
5. Progressive decrease in the energy level and the day to day activities
8. Cognitive difficulties
9. Always anxious and irritable
10. Changes in weight that is unusual weight gain or loss
11. Either oversleeping or insomnia
12. Drug abuse or alcohol abuse
13. Suicidal ideations
Signs & Symptoms in the Manic Phase
1. Extremely euphoric
3. Impulsive, irresponsibly wild
4. Excessively adventurous & involved in activities which are quite threatening to life like drugs, sex, excessive spending, violence, etc.
6. Flight of ideas
7. Exceedingly talkative
8. Very outgoing
10. At times have hallucinations or delusions
11. Easily distracted, restless
12. Patients have no idea as to the problems their behavior is creating
In case you suspect to have any of these symptoms and your abnormal behavior is causing problems in the errands, its time that you must seek professional help in order to lead a normal life again.
While there are numerous tests that are able to differentiate the bipolar patient from the unremarkable sad and/or brisk individuals, as such there is no specific test available to define bipolar patient. The primary reason for this is that the symptoms & signs of bipolar disorder are pretty similar to several other mental aberrations such as substance abuse disorders, ADHD, schizophrenia, or borderline personally disorder.
However, the physicians have drafted a battery of tests that can identify the potential patients of bipolar disorder. The basic tests used by the professionals are as follows:
1. Medical Examinations
With this type of examination the doctor is able to assess the patient as to what are his/her probable grounds of mood swings.
2. Oral & Written Psychiatric Questionnaire and/or Evaluations
Well researched and designed by the psychiatrists for years together, these questionnaires often yield very accurate details.
3. Family History
When the bipolar disorder is there a person's blood relation, he/she is quite a prospective patient of the disease.
4. Medical History
Here the doctor checks on the medications that you have taken in the past as certain medicines can trigger bipolar disorder and the mood swings in the individual.
5. Interviewing the family members
The doctor interviews the family to scratch out each every minute detail of the patient's behavior. Being the first witness of the changes in the individual, these are a very important excerpt for the doctor to cure the patient of bipolar disorder.
6. Mood Swing Episodes
While all above mentioned test create quite a profound ground for the doctor to understand the ailment of an individual, it becomes rather difficult to cure the person when he/she is not able to understand that they are ill. Hence, it becomes imperative to the doctor to trace the absolute & careful history regarding the patient's mood swings. As compared to the normal people, the people suffering with such an ailment while in the mania stage can be extremely happy for at least 4 consecutive days at a stretch. They get distracted quite easily, they are very talkative, and have a high flight of ideas.
7. Depression Episodes
The ones who have repetitive episodes of depression are often suspected to have the bipolar disorder. Such patients show a very positive response to the immediate treatment but the episodes remain constant and the frequent relapses make the situation rather worst. By and by, they stop responding to the anti-depressant treatment being given to them.
In case this sort of ailment is diagnosed in its early stage, it can be controlled effectively with a combination of the psychopharmacologic medications & psychotherapy. Besides the treatment, a very strong & constant emotional support from the family & friends is indeed imperative for the patients suffering with bipolar disorder.
Make sure that you choose the apt medical professional and/or real friend in need to help you through the struggle. Help nowadays is also available just a click away on the World Wide Web or the internet. Many institutions now have established their websites for self of such individuals.
Remember, one who is suspected of any mental disorder is considered innocent until & unless he/she is examined & diagnosed by some legitimate doctor.