Friday, September 6, 2013

How to Cure Self-Doubt


I was inspired to write about mine and others struggle with self-doubt. It occurred to me that there is a universal feeling of lack and imperfection that so many of us have dealt with. Teachers often teach what they most need to learn. Writers write what they have learned or are still learning. Perhaps in writing about self-doubt, I can help others to heal as well as myself. Through the insights of those who supported me on my journey to live my own triumphant life, I can help others. Haven't most of us asked ourselves at one time or another, "What's wrong with me? Why did I say or do that?"

This article came out of the fact that I have asked myself the above question many times over the years just as many of you have. I've studied and read so many books and even written one that you'd think I knew it all and that I'm perfectly fine and I am, but... There's always a "but."

There are as many aspects of low self-esteem as there are grains of sand on the beach. If not everyone, than almost everyone has suffered from it to one extent or another. Just at the moment you think you have beaten it in one area, self-doubt can crop up to knock you down once again.

This has been my nemesis. When people compliment me about something, I am always surprised. After reading my first book a very accomplished woman I admire said, "I didn't know you were such a good writer." I truthfully answered, "Me neither." She chuckled.

I've come a long way in acquiring self-esteem and self-confidence. Now I know who I am. But sometimes without warning, doubt still raises its ugly head. "How can I be so stupid?" Blah, Blah, Blah... I could go on and on. That's the nature of the beast.

As you read this and other articles I write, you may notice that I love quotes. I have quoted from the people I admire. I love Rumi. Therefore, many of my quotes are by Rumi. His poem, "The Rose," reminded me that no one can take away that Divine Essence within me. It is right here, "within my chest."

It's been said that we teach what we need to learn. Writers often write about what they have learned or are still learning. So, it's from the "school of hard knocks" that I offer these thoughts to you.

Self-Improvement and self-empowerment are necessary for us to gain the confidence we need to let go of those old fears and doubts. You deserve to be that which you long to be; calm, peaceful and completely centered. You deserve to do that which you've always longed to do. Accept yourself as you are and continue working on bettering yourself. That "better self" is already there within you. It is up to you to develop it to the point where you know you are okay. This is the truth about you. You already are okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment