Thursday, May 9, 2013

Depression and Sleep Disorders, Natural Remedies


I've been plagued with sleep disorder for over twenty years. This can come as part of menopause and post menopausal experience. Hormones change and so do sleep patterns.

I experienced an exacerbation of symptoms about eleven years ago when I had to make sudden decisions regarding my elderly aunt's care. I was kept awake by worry over whether to put her in an assisted living facility or have in home help. Many nights I only slept three to four hours.

About six months ago the problem reoccurred with a vengeance. Some nights I didn't sleep at all. I thought I was going to have to retire.

I considered traditional sleep meds but did not want to worry about getting up in the middle of the night and driving my car, so I looked for natural remedies.

Statistically, women are three times more likely to experience sleep disorders than men. There seems to be a hormonal relationship.

The most common sleep disorders are insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and restless leg syndrome.

During one of my sleepless nights, I prayed all night long for an answer to appear.

The next evening, a chiropractor/nutritionist called me out of the blue after no contact for the previous twelve years! She asked me how I was doing. I tearfully explained my situation.

Dr. Madeleine told me about some research she had been doing regarding iodine levels. Apparently low levels can interfere with the body's ability to utilize the B vitamins. She advised getting an Iodine loading test done.

The results of the test were astounding. I had very low levels.

I was then placed on an iodine supplement and I started on whole food raw vitamins as opposed to the store bought kind.

My sleep improved within two weeks. It still wasn't perfect, however. At that point I began doing hormone creams three times a day.

In addition, I had a neorotransmitter test done. Again, I was low in all categories and was placed on supplements designed to improve symptoms of depression.

I now sleep eight to ten uninterrupted hours a night.

Dear readers, if you have a sleep disorder, please consider getting an iodine loading test as well as a neurotransmitter test. Your life and health may improve dramatically! Mine have.

No comments:

Post a Comment