Life insurance companies are basically gambling against your death. The more risk factors you have for an early death, the higher your premiums will be. There are certain pre-determined risk types that you will fall under depending on the condition of your health. If your health is excellent, and you are leading a healthy lifestyle, have no major medical history, you may be able to qualify for the super preferred category. The super preferred category has the least premiums because the odds against you living a long life are high. Other categories include preferred and standard premium rates. Standard is the category most Americans qualify for. There are categories lower than standard which are very expensive.
How does exercise help qualify you for cheaper life insurance premiums? A regular exercise routine of 30 minutes a day, five days a week is necessary for maintaining good health, increasing longevity and for feeling better. Most doctors recommend a brisk walk, bicycling, swimming, gardening, dancing or other forms of recreation.
- Exercise along with a healthy diet can help you lose weight. By maintaining a healthy weight you will better your chances of avoiding several major risk factors associated with being overweight such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and joint pain.
- Stress is another health-related factor that may cause high or low blood pressure, anxiety, and depression. Exercise is a good stress reliever. Exercise has stress-busting effects that help ward off stress, anxiety and depression. By keeping stress levels at bay through regular exercise, you may be able to avoid any physiological implications on health stress may have.
- Exercise can help you feel good about yourself. Engaging in exercise stimulates the production of chemicals called endorphins which elevate the mood.
- Can exercise increase longevity? A Harvard Alumni Health Study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (April 1995), noted that exercise and longevity were related. Those who engaged in regular, vigorous exercise tended to live longer.
- According to MedlinePlus (National Institutes of Health) regular exercise (including walking) can decrease your risk of anxiety, depression, heart attack, high blood pressure, obesity, osteoporosis, some types of cancers, and stroke. It also helps to improve good cholesterol levels.
So, it is a well known fact that improving your health can improve your life insurance rates. A few chronic health conditions that can prevent you from getting a good rate on insurance are high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and heart disease. Life style-related conditions such as smoking, obesity and drinking also have a negative impact in underwriting your life insurance rate. The only way you can improve your chances for a good rate is by keeping yourself fit and healthy. Maintaining a regular exercise program is one great way of doing just that.
Another way to improve your chances of getting cheaper life insurance premiums is by shopping around. Online insurance quote providers can find hundreds of life insurance quotes from reputable insurance companies. This helps you compare quotes and find the most affordable life insurance as well as one that best suits your needs.