Before you can begin to stop depression, you must first start off by understanding what causes depression and what the depressed symptoms are. This is the very first, if not the most important step in defeating depression.
So what causes depression?
Well, depression can be caused by a number of things, some of which you have 100% control of and some of which you don't.
Here are a great deal of the causes:
- Biochemical makeup (your brain has neurotransmitters which generally act as on/off switches for happiness and depression)
- Heredity (if someone in your family has depression, then you're two times as likely to get depression yourself)
- Psychological makeup (things such as long-term abuse as a child and neglect add to your risk factor of becoming depressed as a teenager and an adult)
- Changing hormone levels (pre-menstrual syndrome, menopause)
- Stressful life events (a bad breakup or divorce, loss of a job or death of a family or friend)
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Getting "burned out" (becoming over-demanded or over-worked)
So now that you know what some of the causes for being depressed are, let's discover some of the depressed symptoms:
- thoughts of suicide
- uncontrollable crying
- difficulty sleeping
- lack of motivation
- weight gain or weight loss
- inability to concentrate
- negative thinking
- loss of pleasure
Do these sound familiar to you? If you answered yes to them then you're probably suffering from some form of depression. The good news though is that feeling this way isn't permanent. Here are just a few ways of getting rid of your depression:
- Put yourself first. What used to make you happy? Obviously you can't just force yourself to start liking something again but if you could find the little things that used to make you smile, you'll be just that much closer to smiling permanently. Also, take time out from your busy work or school schedule and plan something fun like seeing a baseball game or taking a short vacation.
- Exercise and eat healthy. I know what you're thinking, when you're down in the dumps, there's nothing you want more than to just indulge in your favorite junk food. Well here's the thing: that works - for a short time only. What you can do instead is work out, whether you go for a short jog or walk your dog, exercise releases therapeutic endorphins into your brain which has been proven to be just as effective as antidepressants at making you happy again. So not only will you be healthy, but you'll be healthy and look good in the long run.
- Reach out to friends and family. Obviously we always have times when we are going to argue with loved ones, but what about when you guys are all together and there's no drama, no fighting, just love. This is what you're aiming for. There are few times that make people happier than spending time with friends and family, so reach out to them. Let them know how you're feeling I guarantee if you love them and they love you back, it'll be almost impossible for them NOT to reach back out to you and lift you above your depression.