When we talk about panic attack remedies, particularly ways in which we can cure anxiety and panic attacks, the first port of call always seems to be anxiety medication.
And I get it. I really do! As a former sufferer, you feel those anxiety symptoms so clearly and so strongly that you gravitate toward anything that promises you a quick fix.
But anxiety medication is neither the only nor the best anxiety panic treatment. It only relieves the symptoms without getting to the root of the problem and, in fact, it comes with its own potential risks! You're much better off considering the more natural cures for anxiety and panic attacks. And they don't come more natural than the nutrients found in your food.
Nutrients such as amino acids, minerals, and omega 3 fatty acids occur naturally in foods that we eat, but sometimes it helps to get an extra boost through supplements. Let's look at these and their benefits in more detail.
Amino Acids Supplements
There are some amino acids which help to regulate your moods and feelings either by inhibiting or facilitating the production of neurotransmitters in the brain. Some of these are listed below and can be taken as anxiety supplements on a regular basis to complement what you get from your food:
- Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (GABA) basically slows down activity in parts of the brain which are related to anxiety, resulting in a feeling of tranquillity and calm. This has a very powerful effect on us, and many anti-anxiety drugs actually work by stimulating GABA receptors in the brain. Simply switching these drugs for GABA supplements has proven very successful in treating anxiety disorder and controlling panic attacks.
- L--glutamine regulates blood sugar levels, as a dip in sugar levels can lead to anxiety.
- L--glycine works to calm the central nervous system, and has been used in treating manic depression.
- During anxiety, the body responds to protect you by releasing adrenaline which actually makes things worse. L--taurine creates a similar effect to GABA by inhibiting the release of adrenaline in the brain.
- L--theanine activates alpha brain waves, which produce a feeling of deep relaxation and alertness -- just like deep meditation does. It is found readily in green tea.
- L--tryptophan stimulates the production of serotonin, a "feel good" chemical in the brain which promotes a calming effect and actually helps with insomnia.
- 5--hydroxy--L--tryptophan (5--HTP), of which L--tryptophan is a precursor, then works as a mood booster to increase serotonin levels.
There are three main minerals that are taken as anxiety supplements because of their general effects on the body actually work to control feelings and symptoms of anxiety, panic and stress.
They are Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. These actually work together in the body, in a synergistic manner. They tend to help with muscle relaxation and inducing a feeling of calm. They exist in foods such as legumes, nuts, seeds, and green vegetables such as spinach.
Taking these mineral anxiety supplements will help to promote healthy heart function, control your blood pressure and regulate the central nervous system -- all of which are essential to reduce anxiety symptoms.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids Supplements
This is normally taken, in the form of fish oils, to treat a range of emotional and anxiety disorders. When omega 3 levels are low, particularly compared to omega 6 fatty acids, this can lead to symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Omega 3 fatty acids enhance nerve health and therefore maintain good mental health. This is actually one of the most important nutrient anxiety supplements you could take.
So try these natural panic attack remedies today, and try incorporating foods that contain these nutrients into your normal diet. These anxiety supplements may seem like a simple anxiety panic treatment but I hope that, by seeing exactly how they work in the body, you can realise just how powerful they can be for your anxiety relief.