Everyone comes across a time in their lives when they feel downright low and feelings of worthlessness fill them up. With the passing of time, the "bad feelings" also go by and they come back to living their lives. However, sometimes this episode continues for a longer period of time which eventually turns into a psychological illness. One must not get confused between depression and bipolar disorder. While depression only makes you feel low, bipolar disorder, on the other hand, is characterized by extreme mood swings. It affects people from all walks of life. Their ability to fight off different bipolar disorder causes defines their fate for them. Some of its causes are -
Brain structure - Abnormal structure of the limbic region gives rise to bipolar disorder. This region plays a vital role in controlling one's emotions. In addition to that, various hormonal imbalances in the brain like low levels of norepinephrine, dopamine, acetylcholine and serotonine trigger depression. On the other hand, when the levels are more than normal, it results in hyper or manic episodes.
Death in family - Sometimes death of a loved one also causes bipolar disorder. During that time, an individual experiences great levels of pain and despair which may result in depression. However, in the recovery stage they may relapse and be affect by the disorder.
Environmental factors - People who had grown up in an abusive household or are currently in such atmosphere are more prone to it. Environmental factors are one of the major bipolar disorder causes. Regular fights, use of foul language and insult can make a person feel high and low in a short span of time.
It is also important to know its symptoms to detect it early.
- Irritability is one of the top symptoms. Even little things act as catalyst for your anger and one gets irritated very often.
- They may cut off from everyone. Those affected by bipolar disorder usually seclude themselves irrespective of their former jolly nature. They do not enjoy the things that formerly gave them pleasure.
- Very little control on their verbal speed. They tend to talk very fast sometimes skipping and mixing up words.
- They may feel victimized, rejected or criticized. Also they feel bored and empty inside.
- A significant amount of increase is recorded in one's sexual desires. He/she may approach others with great sexual desires.
- One may also have grandiose thoughts about oneself.
Many causes may be responsible for an individual's illness. No fixed framework has been prepared by doctors for it. Whatever may be the cause, it needs to be treated soon since it creates rift in personal and professional relationships. Also, it emotionally drains an individual.