Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Looking For Natural Cures For Depression? Try Fish Oil Supplements!


I started looking for natural cures for depression because I was very unhappy with the side effects that accompany anti-depressants. Over the years, I tried store brands of fish oil supplements, green tea, ginseng, St. John's wort, valerian root, tryptophan, 5 HTP, and probably some others.

I was among the millions of consumers that believed generics were just as good as name brands. I didn't know that health supplements are not well regulated. I learned that it is up to the manufacturer to ensure that the products they provide are of the utmost purity. It is also up to them to provide a delivery system for those supplements, insuring that the nutrient reaches the proper area of the digestive system.

I did know that fish oil supplements, according to numerous studies, were one of the natural cures for depression, but I didn't know that the researchers used ultra-pure pharmaceutical grades that contained specific amounts of DHA and EPA omega-3 fatty acids. Generic brands did not contain these ultra-pure grades of omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, most manufacturers do not test each batch for quality and purity.

One day, while I was surfing on the internet, still looking for natural cures for depression, I came across a company that goes into great detail to explain why their products are the best. I was skeptical at first. I expected this company to charge $60 per bottle or some outrageous amount like that.

I had studied nutrition in college, but had fallen behind on the new information. Research in the field of nutrition changes so quickly and I hadn't kept up with it. So when I read that the company offered a money-back guarantee, and the price for their product was less than $20, far less than a co-pay on anti-depressant medication, I decided to try these fish oil supplements, and you know what, they worked! I had already stopped taking the meds for depression and that's not advisable. Even though they are supposed to be non-addictive, there are plenty of withdrawal symptoms. Believe me.

There are many other important things you should do to prevent depression: eat right, drink plenty of purified water, and get more physical activity. But if you've tried all of those things and nothing seems to work, maybe you aren't eating enough fish.

I'm not a big fan of fish. I mostly eat lean chicken, turkey, and boiled eggs for protein. I do like shrimp, but they are very low in omega-3 fatty acids. If your diet is anything like mine, you should try adding fish oil supplements.

Just be sure that the product you buy is pharmaceutical grade and that the source fish is not high up on the food chain. Sharks and other large fish have higher mercury levels, simply because they live longer. Hopefully, you will find that the natural cures for depression work for you, like they did for me. We all deserve some happiness!

1 comment:

  1. If you are suffering from anxiety and/or depression, I recommend the Destroy Depression system.Written by a former sufferer of depression, it teaches a simple seven-step process to eliminate depression from your life.

    ReplyDelete