Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Avoiding Recurring Depression


Most experts agree that what makes depression so challenging is the very real risk of recurrence. Some studies suggest that the risk of relapse from medication may be north of 60% where the risk of relapse from behavioral therapy is more moderate. Nevertheless, kicking depression completely out of ones life is an ongoing process that takes work. In this informational article titled "Avoiding Recurring Depression" we try to explore a few areas helpful in achieving this lofty goal.
 
Depression is like a thief in the night. It can sneak up on you when least expected then lock the door. One of the keys to avoiding recurring depression is to not allow it to sneak up on you. If you have battled this condition before and won you no doubt understand what depression looks like.
 
One strategy for avoiding recurring depression is to compile a list of symptoms that are specific to you. If certain symptoms are recognized it should be construed as a subtle warning sign that depression is at the door. It is just waiting for an opportunity to come in.
 
Let's explore eleven examples:
 
*I am not thinking clearly
*I am struggling with concentration
*I seem to be experiencing more guilt than normal
*I seem to be more irritable than normal
*I have been having dark, gloomy thoughts
*I am having appetite issues (could be eating too much or too little)
*My sleep pattern is not consistent
*I am unusually tired for no particular reason
*After therapy I felt so good but now my mood has returned to a predominately pessimistic state
*I don't have a desire to communicate with my friends
*I am starting to withdraw from events I used to consider fun
 
I sure you can make a list that is better suited to you but one or more of the bullet points above should provide you with a good starting point.
 
As you may recognize many of the list of eleven are actually signs of depression if experienced over an uncharacteristically long period of time. Certainly one symptoms for one day is not something to get overly concerned about only something you should be aware of. ON the other hand when symptoms start to occur frequently or are occurring more than one at a time a warning light should go on.
 
Catch it before it starts. Take preemptive action. Nip it in the bud etc...
 
If you see your depression signs recurring don't hesitate to take action by implementing the same strategies that were successful in curing your depression previously. Additionally, you might consider something different to compliment what you already know, such as natural alternative remedies. Natural alternative remedies for depression are very safe, affordable, and have shown to be effective in supporting both emotional and mental health. If you are searching for a different treatment direction this is definitely an option worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment