Beating depression naturally is the best way to fight it. When psychiatrists around the world are recommending the usual routine of psychotherapy and anti-depressant drugs, why not try proven natural treatments to fight the illness? Depression is a state of the mind which affects the way a person feels and communicates with the world around him. There are various journals and websites which site one study after another crediting various natural treatments. But it is your task to separate the grain from the chaff to find out the real natural depression cures. The following are 5 methods of how you can fight depression naturally.
1) Exercise: This tried and tested method of treating depression is extremely effective and works for everyone no matter what the severity of their condition is. It is one of nature's most potent mood-boosters and the good news is that it does not matter what kind of exercise you are doing as long as you do it. You can choose from a brisk walk, jogging, running, swimming, riding a bike, tennis, badminton, weightlifting, kickboxing, yoga, Pilates or tai chi. The idea is to invest at least 30 minutes a day in working out. Make sure you do something you enjoy doing and watch your blues disappearing.
2) Diet: You are what you eat. How many times have you heard that adage before? Eating a well-balanced diet is a proven natural way to fight depression. Your meals should have everything in it, proteins, carbohydrates and fat. You can even have a multivitamin tablet everyday if you feel you are missing out on essential nutrients. But don't overeat. Instead of reaching out for that bag of chips whenever you are feeling hungry, have a piece of fruit or a slice of cheese. Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee.
3) Natural supplements: These seem to be as effective as anti-depressant drugs in fighting depression and anxiety. St. John's Wort is one of the most well-known natural depression treatments with almost no side effects. Another natural supplement is SAM-e. Though it's a bit on the expensive side, this supplement is known to work wonders for depression.
4) Socializing: The most common inclination of someone who is depressed is to isolate himself from everyone. This has a worsening effect on the symptoms of depression. If you are depressed, make an effort to go out and meet people, make new acquaintances and spend time with them. Talk to friends and family regularly about the problems you are facing. The love and support you will get from people who care about you is the best way to beat depression.
5) Self-help groups: Find out whether your neighborhood or city has a self-help group for people in the same condition as you are. Sharing your emotions and feelings is going to have a therapeutic effect on you. Attend their meetings regularly.
Take each day as it comes if you want to beat depression. With time and effort, you can surely get over this phase of your life.
Post a Comment