Depression is a mental illness that can affect anyone anytime. It has the ability to change the way a person eats, sleep, thinks and behaves with the people and world around him. Dealing with a depressed person is difficult, especially if that person happens to be your boy friend. A depressed boyfriend can very well be the cause of a strained relationship. If you are in such a situation, this article will be helpful because it throws light on how you can deal with and help a depressed boyfriend as well as stay close to him.
- Keep a supportive and affectionate attitude whenever you are with him. Listen to what he says and let him know that you are going to support him without being judgmental.
- During this bad time, he needs as much support as he can get. Encourage him to talk to his trusted friends and family.
- In case your boyfriend is clinically depressed, your love and support is not going to be enough to help him. Ask him to go see a therapist.
- Once your boyfriend has agreed to see a therapist, confirm whether you can go on with him to a few sessions. Couple counseling sessions are sometimes helpful in not only treating depression but also to restore the love in a relationship.
- In case of people with depression, sometimes the depression reaches such levels that the person has suicidal thoughts and thoughts of hurting oneself. Inform your boyfriend's best friend and family if he is going through such a phase.
- Show your boyfriend your unconditional love. Sometimes, that is what all what is required to cure a depressed soul.
- Remember to take care of yourself too during this difficult phase. Your boyfriend needs you, make sure you are up for it.