Bipolar disorder, also known as manic depressive disorder, is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders that causes shifts in a persons mood, energy, and ability to function. The mood swing is so intense, that it severely affects the life of a person. The different types of bipolar disorder are:
Bipolar I Disorder: This is the most severe type of disorder that is characterized by at least one episode of major depression or mixed episode.
Bipolar II Disorder: This disorder involves recurring episodes of major depression and hypo-mania, a milder form of mania. The patient experiences at least one hypo-manic episode and one major depressive episode
Cyclothymia: This consists of cyclical mood swings where the patient experiences numerous periods of hypo-mania and mild depression in a span of two years.
The symptoms of this disease vary in frequency, pattern and severity. Some people experience frequent mood swings while others experience few mood disruptions over a lifetime. Mania, hypo-mania, depression and mixed episodes are the four types of mood episodes observed in bipolar disorder. People with bipolar disorder need special care and medication to keep their symptoms under control and to reduce the frequency and severity of bipolar mood episodes. A proper treatment plan involves the following:
- Medication: Mood stabilization medication helps to minimize the extremes of bipolar disorder and keep symptoms under control.
- Visit the doctor regularly: To keep a check on the medication levels, it is suggestible to visit the doctor on a regular basis.
- Psychotherapy: Therapy is essential to cope with crisis and to manage stress and sore feelings.
- Lifestyle management: In order to keep the symptoms at bay, lead a lifestyle that involves plenty of rest, exercise, stress management, therapy and supportive people around.
- Awareness about the disease: The more you know about the disease, the better you will be able to tackle the symptoms. Educate yourself about the disease
Some of the common types of therapies that help in the treatment of bipolar disorder are Cognitive-behavioral therapy, Light and dark therapy, Interpersonal and social rhythm therapy, Family-focused therapy. Above all, lifestyle and daily habits are extremely important to fight this disease.