The thyroid gland plays an important role in our body. It is important that we take the time to learn how take good care of it to prevent it from suffering from any form of disease. But how will we know if there is already a problem with our thyroid? What are the signs or symptoms that are visible for us to see if our gland has a problem?
There are a variety of symptoms that we can experience that can be related to disease in our gland. But there are five common signs or symptoms that can give you clues on problems with your thyroid gland
1. Fatigue - the most common symptoms for problems with the thyroid gland is fatigue. Since the gland regulates our energy level, there is a chance that it is acting up when we always feel tired or lack energy. Thyroid diseases that have fatigue as a symptom are Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's Disease, and Postpartum Thyroiditis.
2. Weight Change - weight gain or weight loss can also be associated with thyroid problem. Our metabolism is also regulated by our gland, so any sudden gain or loss in weight can be attributed to a problem with it. The thyroid disease that are associated with this symptom are Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's dDsease, Graves' Disease, and Silent Thyroiditis.
3. Depression and anxiety - Feeling depressed or having an anxiety disorder are also symptoms of thyroid disorder. Depression is usually a sign of Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's Disease, and Postpartum Thyroiditis. On the other hand, anxiety is a sign of Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's Disease, Graves' Disease and Silent Thyroiditis.
4. Cholesterol Issues - cholesterol issues that is not responsive to diet, exercise, or medication is a symptom of the problem. Having high cholesterol is associated with Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's Disease, and Postpartum Thyroiditis. While having low cholesterol is associated with Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid Nodules, Hashimoto's Disease, Graves' Disease and Silent Thyroiditis.
5. Neck Discomfort or Enlargement - swelling or discomfort of the neck, hoarse voice, having a hard time swallowing, and enlarged thyroid are also signs of problems. Having this symptom can be a sign for Thyroid Cancer, Goiter, Thyroid Nodules, and all varieties of thyroditis (Hashimoto, De Quervain, Silent, Reidel and Postpartum).
These are just some of the most common symptoms that you're experiencing problems with your thyroid gland. If you experience any or all of these signs, it is important that you get yourself checked with a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.