High school and college students suffer from and are faced with significant amounts of stress and anxiety that can result in both physical and emotional health issues.
A recent study shows that five times as many high school and college students suffer and are dealing with stress, anxiety and other mental health issues as their counterparts that were studied during the Great Depression. This research study is based on the responses of 77,576 high school and college students who from 1938 through 2007, took the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI).
* Students themselves point to everything from pressure to succeed - self-imposed and otherwise - to a fast-paced world that's only sped up by the technology they love so much.
* Another major contributor appears to be the unrealistic feelings ingrained in young people, that they need to have huge amounts of money to be considered a success. This leads to feelings of inadequacy, anxiety and depression.
* In addition, today's youth is brought up in a "you can do anything" environment. This leads to false expectations which when not met results in anxiety and depression.
Are you a student or parent of a student that suffers with stress and anxiety? Here are some ways for students to maintain good health and keep their sanity.
* Establish a quiet space to study. This is a place were you can focus and concentrate away from distractions. If you live with a noisy roommate, find a quiet spot in the library or your favorite coffee shop.
* Create a schedule. Leave yourself plenty of time to study for exams and get work done.
* Don't pull "All Nighters". Make sure to leave yourself enough study time.
* Stay away from caffeine, alcohol and drugs. Caffeine only provides a temporary jolt. You will eventually crash from excessive use. Need I say anything about excessive alcohol use other than moderation my young friends, moderation. And please just forget about drugs altogether.
* Get on a healthy diet.
* Get plenty of sleep.
* Don't obsess on results. Test scores are important but you need to keep things in perspective. Otherwise you will become overly anxious about a test's outcome which can actually cause you to do poorly. You need to shift your focus and stay present minded. Try some positive affirmations and visualization techniques to change your perspective, and remember that Yoga and Meditation techniques are time tested and proven stress relievers.
* Know your learning style. Not everyone learns in the same way. It's important to know if you're a visual, auditory or kinesthetic type learner.
* Practice visualization techniques. Imagine yourself having already achieved your desired results.
* Develop optimism. People that are optimistic are healthier, less stressed, and more successful.
* Use stress management techniques. The Yoga Awakening Meditation Collection is comprised of over 24 stress reduction techniques and exercises that will help. This meditation collection is complete and comprehensive, and includes everything you need to control and manage stress and anxiety.
There are so many secrets that Yoga and Meditation will reveal to you. There are so many ways that Yoga and Meditation can make your life easier and more fulfilling. Come and explore these secrets with me now by going to: http://www.yogaawakening.com