Can NLP Help With Depression?
Depression is affecting more and more people everyday. Of course, depression is also a normal aspect of life. Feeling sad, overwhelmed, uninterested in life, morose and dejected are normal emotions to feel after a loss, embarrassment or an unachieved goal. These feelings typically resolve on their own. Clinical depression is the ongoing exacerbation of these feelings.
Symptoms of depression include:
- difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- fatigue and decreased energy
- feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
- feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
- insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- irritability, restlessness
- loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- overeating or appetite loss
- persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
- persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
- thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
It is imperative to have a medical doctor treat you for symptoms of depression, however, one treatment found to be effective that your doctor might suggest is hypnosis or an advanced form of hypnosis known as neuro-linguistic programming or NLP.
NLP is a combination of techniques derived from hypnosis and psychiatry. NLP can be useful in treating depression because it changes the internal beliefs that may be exacerbating the symptoms of depression.
The difference between NLP and psychiatry is the practice of NLP says people are not sick they just have incorrect behaviors. By changing the internal habits and beliefs of the subconscious mind, the behaviors being experienced by the depressed person can be effectively altered. Again if a clinical depression exists any complementary therapy would be done with the medical doctors approval.
Neuro-linguistic programming is an effective treatment for depression and has been shown to greatly help in the recovery of those afflicted by this condition. The exact practices used with each client would very depending upon the individual. The treatment of depression in NLP was modeled from people who overcame depression on their own. Following the same protocol as others who were successful in overcoming depression allows for an effective road map out of the dark tunnel of depression.